Here is a short list of a few elephant facts we learned:
- Elephants can sense a tsunami/earthquake one hour before a strike. Their feet, which have five nails, are extremely sensitive.
- They eat for 18 hours a day - their diet is made up of 60% grass root, 30% fruit and 10% minerals. Elephants eat 6% of their own body weight and those who are nursing babies eat about 12%. An average full-sized elephant eats around 200 kilograms of food every day.
- Each year around December, January, February male elephants produce up to 30% more testosterone than normal. This makes them act wildly and can be very dangerous if provoked.
- Elephant mothers produce 20 liters of milk each day for their new born.
- An elephant has the intelligence of a 12 year old human.
- An average Asian elephant weights about 3-5 tons, and is 3 meters high.
- An elephants trunk contains as many as 60,000 muscles which they use for breathing, watering, feeding, touching, dusting, sound production and communication, washing, pinching, grasping, defense and offense.